In English we have high standards and expectations for all pupils. Our intent is to maximise pupils’ enjoyment and engagement in their learning whilst providing them with the tools needed to make exceptional progress in this subject. We aim to develop knowledgeable, passionate and enthusiastic readers and writers that are inquisitive, full of confidence and overflowing with creativity. We aspire to instil a love and passion for reading amongst all of our pupils, introducing them to a wide range of authors and prioritising reading for pleasure across the school. After investigating a text, pupils have opportunities to develop their reading comprehension skills and glean effective techniques for their own writing. Teacher demonstration follows – a process that the class are very much involved with – and then supported to create their independent writing.
What is distinctive about English at St John’s Middle School?
- Our curriculum content is designed to develop pupils into empathic, creative and enquiring young people.
- Our lessons encompass the school values of responsibility, personal achievement, leadership and mutual respect.
- We share discussion and debate.
- We foster a love of reading for pleasure in our pupils through a well-stocked and inviting library, daily time dedicated to shared reading and engaging events such as World Book Day.
- We ensure opportunities to develop key literary skills are present in all subjects across the curriculum and have a ‘writing across the curriculum’ scheme in place.
- We offer a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities such as newspaper club, creative writing club, drama club and book club.
- All of our schemes of work are bespoke and have been created with St John’s pupils in mind.