Thinking of Primary Teaching?
Train with Us on our dynamic school-based PGCE and Early Years programme.
We are currently recruiting for 2022-2023 Primary Placements. Full-time and part-time options are available.
If you would like to discuss routes into teaching and how you can train with the support of an outstanding school, you can email Sarah Marsh. Alternatively, you can call 01527 832376for further details.
Do you want to train with the support of an outstanding school?
St John's C of E Middle School is a fantastic place to train to become an outstanding teacher. It is an excellent school that offers the children a warm, vibrant, lively, and safe learning environment where they can grow into confident young people, having developed their full potential during the four years at our school.
Our staff are committed to offering the children every opportunity to enable them to develop both academically and socially. The plethora of enrichment and after-school activities and clubs is a testament to this commitment. Academically, our school achieves excellent results in terms of both progress and attainment. This was validated by Ofsted in March 2012 when the school received a judgement of outstanding in all categories.
Over the last decade, St John's C of E Middle School has been deeply committed to providing teacher training opportunities and locally were one of the first middle schools to offer the primary School Direct graduate training programme. Our teacher training provision has gone from strength to strength and we continue to be passionate about training the next generation of teachers.
Additionally, St John's was awarded an outstanding in all categories in our June 2017 Siams inspection.
“Your feedback and support throughout this year has genuinely made me the best teacher I could be. I can’t thank you enough.”
Why train with us?
Guaranteed Leadership Development as an Early Career Teacher and beyond
We offer an excellent range of quality placements in Early Years, Primary and Middle School settings. We have built an extensive range of fantastic partnership schools across a wide geographical area including Bromsgrove, Worcester, Evesham, Malvern, Kidderminster, Redditch, South Birmingham and Warwickshire. We are therefore able to offer the most appropriate placement schools to our trainees.
We provide a Primary school-based learning opportunity in partnership with The University of Worcester, a superb training provider. The School Direct route puts the school at the heart of the process. It provides a sustained school experience throughout the year, allowing successful applicants to be fully immersed in the school community. We work in partnership with excellent local alliance First and Middle Schools, which offer a unique range of expertise and experience. These placements are for trainees wishing to focus on the age range 3-7 and 5-11.
Many of our School Direct Trainees are offered an Early Careers Teacher post across our partnership schools. Furthermore, we ensure you receive a comprehensive Early Career Teacher training programme.
This School Direct route allows you to achieve QTS and a PGCE qualification with credits towards Masters Accreditation.
We are looking to select trainees with outstanding potential and a commitment and enthusiasm for working with children.
- Honours degree normally (2:2) or higher from a United Kingdom higher education institution or equivalent qualification. Applicants with a 3rd class degree will be considered on an individual basis.
- All entrants have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (formerly grade C) in the GCSE examinations in English Language, mathematics and science. (for 2022 entry, applicants must have these qualifications by the start of the course). Alternatively, we offer an equivalency test if you don’t have the required GCSE grade to apply for our courses. Trainees who begin courses before providing evidence of the required GCSE standard (or equivalent) will not be eligible for financial incentives, such as bursaries or grants until they achieve the required standard.
Qualifications not listed? Contact the Admissions Office for advice by email: [email protected]
- An Enhanced DBS check. You will be sent details of how to apply for your DBS in the summer term. You will need to pay for this. You may already be part of the DBS update service. Find out about the update service here. As part of the DBS process, you will be checked against the Children’s Barred List.
- A check against the Prohibition List.
- If you have lived, studied or worked overseas for three months or more in the last five years a Certificate of Good Conduct from the country of residence will be required. Further information and guidance associated with additional costs are available from the Home Office.
- An online occupational health check. All those on a teacher training programme must be certified as meeting national requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach, as set by the Department for Education.
- International students: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
All applications for PGCE should be made via the Government's Find Postgraduate Teacher Training website.
Additional useful information is available on the Government's Get Into Teaching website.
For more information
For further information on the School Direct programme at St John's C of E Middle School, please contact
email: [email protected]
tel: 01527 832376
“I have loved every minute of my time at St John’s and your amazing staff have taught me so much and I can’t wait t o put it to use.”